How To – G-Tablet Recover From a Brick

This tutorial will explain how to recover your ViewSonic 10.1″ Gtablet from any type of brick you encounter! I bricked my device four different ways and I was able to recover everytime! (Updated 4/8/2011)

*** PLEASE NOTE – This will restore your entire G-Tablet device back to the way you purchased it with the ugly Stock Home Launcher and all the applications, so you will have to RE-Flash TNT-Lite, however your root access should still be installed. ***

What You Will Need:
Micro-SD Card
Be able to access your Micro-SD Storage

Step 1. Our restore file can be downloaded below.

Please note that this is a zip file you need to have WinZip, WinRAR or 7Zip to extract the (2) files that you need out of the zip file. You will notice that inside the zip file there is a “Recovery” folder and a “update” file.

Step 2. Plug in your Micro-SD Card into your computer, you can do this through your printer, or if you have a Micro-SD hub, or if you have another Android device such as a phone you can place your spare Micro-SD card as long as you can access it from your computer.

Step 3. Format the Micro-SD card or delete everything off it, make sure though if you have important documents or pictures that you back everything up.

Step 4. Copy the (2) files “Recovery folder” and “update” file to the ROOT of your Micro-SD card.

Step 5. Make sure you G-Tablet is completely powered of and disconnected from your Computer.

Step 6. Remove your Micro-SD card from your computer, printer, or device however you accessed it. Now place it into your ViewSonic 10.1 G-Tablet – You should see a little tab that you have to pull open and make sure it clicks into place.

Step 7. Press and Hold the “Volume Up” button, and hold the “Power On” button until you see text at the top of the ViewSonic boot animation that says “Found recovery image“, once you see that message you can let go of both of them.

Step 8. You should know see it is installing an update package – Good you are on the right track. Your G-Tablet should reboot and you should now notice a normal bootup sequence.

You may have to do a “Factory Reset” under the settings menu. You can access this by:
Menu -> Settings -> Location & Security -> Factory Reset

Download Restore File via Droidpirate.com

Related Posts

64 Comments

1. Todd
    Nov 30, 2010 at 12:35 AM - Reply

Just, Last night my gTablet shut down, unexpectedly with over 30% battery charge left. I just thought maybe the battery was low. I plugged it in overnight and when I tried to power it up this morning it would go to the viewsonic launch screen and then the gTablet screen and shortly after it would shut-down completely.

I was taking this as, I must have “Bricked it”. So I followed your instructions above, and it unpacked the recovery, but now it powers down just after the “TapnTap” launch screen.

Do you have any advice for me?? Hopefully??

Thanks,

Todd

• Todd
      Nov 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM - Reply

Nevermind, How embarassing. The battery went dead and the outlet that I plugged it into overnight to charge was not a live outlet :( Now I’m back to square 1. But, I’ll have plenty of experience.

• justin
        Dec 1, 2010 at 1:06 AM - Reply

Lol nice man, glad to hear!!

• thomas
          Jan 3, 2011 at 4:41 AM - Reply

i d/l the files and did what you said but i am stuck on the gtablet screen so far and its not doing anything else. any ideas?

• Reiner
      Mar 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM - Reply

Hi, I need help! where can I download the file of
      How To – G-Tablet Recover From a Brick??? please, I have no experience!

2. Jared
    Dec 2, 2010 at 2:42 PM - Reply

When I start up the recovery the gtablet tries to load the file but then gives me a yellow triangle with an “!” in the middle and then stops. Any ideas?

3. Todd
    Dec 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM - Reply

Hey Justin,

On one of my other gTablets, it just keeps cycling through re-boot. I have tried to reboot with the instructions above (I’ve done it before on the other gTablets I have).
    But it starts to install and shows unpackaging and then half-way through it shows a triange “alert”, and then starts cycling all over again. Over and Over. Can you help??? Thanks

4. ASH
    Dec 8, 2010 at 7:00 AM - Reply

You are the BEST!!! – Thank you so much for posting this; TNT 2.2 doesn’t work well with TitaniumBackup latest that you have posted (http://droidpirate.com/category/tablets/viewsonic-gtablet/) or I am screwing up somewhere.. My Viewpad went on an recursive loop after I installed the apk. I just now recovered it with your restore image… YOU ARE AWESOME!

5. Bill
    Jan 10, 2011 at 3:08 AM - Reply

If I have already flashed and finished putting tnt on the gtab but i want to go back to day 1 do I still have to do all of these steps or can i just go to settings and factory reset? I want to use VEGAn and install clockwork but I also cant find a d/l of clockwork… But do I even need to do this to install VEGAn?

6. Ron
    Jan 20, 2011 at 2:34 AM - Reply

What is the actual file out of the the zip that needs to be loaded on the SD card along with the “recovery folder”?

7. Ron
    Jan 20, 2011 at 2:42 AM - Reply

I’m stuck with a variety of error messages, “google.process.apps” has stopped, or “android.process.acore” has stopped and seems to be in a loop. I just want to do a hard factory reset to dump my stuff and get a new one.

Settings and dashboard home are both unaccessible with the error messages.

• larry
      Feb 13, 2011 at 7:36 PM - Reply

I have the same situation with mine. tried loading factory boot, but nothing.

8. Zach
    Jan 24, 2011 at 6:01 AM - Reply

So, I have tried to do this and my G Tablet is now repeating the TnT loading page, where the Tap’s go away and the n with the things above it load, then goes back to saying TapnTap and repeats, about 10 times, then shuts down. I have tried installing this package content as stated (and have had it work successfully before) but to no avail this time. Any help would be great because as of right now i just have an annoying slide show rather than a tablet. Thanks!

9. Jeff
    Feb 3, 2011 at 4:03 PM - Reply

Having the same problem as Zach. Where the tablet appears to load recovery and gets stuck on the TnT, cycles through that logo flashing on screen about 10x and powers down. I have the files in the root directory of the card. When I reset I get a slightly different message:

Detected a recovery key pressed
    Booting from recovery kernel image

It goes through the unpack the box picture, progress bar, and never gets past the TnT. My best guess is that it is loading a “bad” recovery image off the device and not the card? Any suggestions?

• Jake
      Feb 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM - Reply

I’m having the same issue have you been able to correct this?

10. Cindy
    Feb 4, 2011 at 6:53 AM - Reply

OMG, I am crying to see my g-tablet working again! IF you were here, I’ll be kissing you! THANKS FOR THIS POST, WORK LIKE A CHARM. I ALL MOST WAIT FOR TOMORROW AND CALL CUSTOMER SUPPORT! THANKS A MILLION TIMES!

11. Lee
    Feb 6, 2011 at 11:15 PM - Reply

I’m having the same problem as everyone else. My Gtablet was working fine and then… bam… re-occuring booot screen. I put the filesyou identified on the Micro SD, in a file named root and just on the Micros SD.. not in a folder. When I boot it and hold the recovery keys, I get the message “Booting recoover kernel image” and then iy says “Android”, gives me the triangle ICON and then reboots to the re-occuring boot screen again… I’m nt even a novice.. is there something specific I am supposed to do to make the “rooot” folder bootable?

12. Lee
    Feb 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM - Reply

ok.. went back and figure out enough to get the darn thing to boot error the same as everyone above. Is this thing savable or no?

13. Lee
    Feb 11, 2011 at 2:08 AM - Reply

Ok… I had to figure it out on my own. For those using TNT and geting the triangle with the exclamation point in it… this is what I did…

Wipe you MicroSD card.

Downlaod Clock Works Mod V8. File name is cwmod_v8.

Extract that on to your Micro SD Card.. Insert in “ye old brick” once known as a G Tablet.. Volume + and Power to put the tablet into Boot Recovery Mode.

Clock works will open. Wipe User Files. Heads up, I had never seen Clock works before… use the volume key to move up and down and the House Icon on the touch screen for select. Back icon works normal.

Once you wipe the user files…. pull out the MicroSD card, pop it into your PC, wipe the MicroSD card and put your ROM on it… I uploaded the 4.2 TNT ROM again.

Insert the MicroSD card back into the GTablet.

(I NEVER TURNED THE GTABLET OFF< CLOCK WORKS WAS STILL OPEN)

Navigate to "load update.zip from MicroSD Card" or the equivilent.. I'm doing this from memory.

Watch it load.

My Gtablet is saved from the dead.

14. Michael
    Feb 16, 2011 at 1:10 AM - Reply

Hey when you say remove the SF card do you mean the internal one? Im not sure how to remove. I don’t have an external one.

• justin
      Feb 16, 2011 at 1:21 AM - Reply

Michael, I mean external you need to have an external sd-card for this to work. This is the only method I have ever used on my G-tablet and one thats the most effective. You don’t need a huge one you could use 1GIG or 512kb. Would be worth it though for your G-tablet to get a large one for media on your device.

15. Michael
    Feb 16, 2011 at 1:10 AM - Reply

I meant SD Card….

16. Jake
    Feb 17, 2011 at 7:31 PM - Reply

I’ve followed the instructions however I can not get the tablet to load from the SD card, it starts the: Detected a recovery key pressed
    Booting from recovery kernel image

Then looks like it is re installing but then goes right away to the old OS that is not working. It seems the tablet is not seeing the SD and is loading a damaged recovery from the tablet itself. Any help anyone?

17. Lee
    Feb 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM - Reply

You have to boot into Clockworks Mod from your SD card first, then pull your SD card, put your Android OS on it, re-insert into GTablet, then use Clockworks mod (which should have been still open) to boot from SD card.

Then your golden.

• jeff
      Mar 1, 2011 at 4:10 AM - Reply

How do you boot into Clockworks Mod from the SD Card? I extracted the Recovery File and update zip and I can see that it now appears on my SD card in programs. What next?

• Micah
        Apr 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM - Reply

Did anyone figure out how to boot into Clockworks Mod from the SD card?

18. John
    Feb 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM - Reply

Everyone on every site talks about the clockworks mod. I’m a pretty good googler, but nowhere can I actually find a download link. If anyone could help with that, it would be appreciated. Is this some sort of deep cover pirate app or something, because I can find warez easily, but not that simple utility.

• Lou
      Feb 27, 2011 at 11:26 PM - Reply

Installed Cyenogenmod.. cant get to recovery no matter what I do. Keeps booting into the rom can’t boot into clockwork thought is says its installed… help please thanks.

19. Lou
    Feb 27, 2011 at 11:40 PM - Reply

followed your direction but it only boots into the current rom no matter what I do ;(

20. Jeff
    Mar 1, 2011 at 4:41 AM - Reply

Does anyone have an alternate link to these files? The link is dead it appears. I just want to try and system restore. Caught in boot loop with no end.

• justin
      Mar 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM - Reply

Jeff updating them now… give me a few

• Ab
        Mar 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM - Reply

I just bought my g tablet less than two months ago and did not do any modifications to it at all. just a regular user who did all the updates that viewsonic sent out. i just tried turning it on again yesterday after turning it off a couple days ago with more than 40% battery left. now it shows the viewsonic screen with the birds, then the tap n tap screen but then just keeps rebooting about 10 times and eventually powers down. is this a virus or is it bricked(whatever that means)? would i be able to restore it using the technique you have posted? i would appreciate any help you can give me.

• justin
          Mar 3, 2011 at 12:59 AM - Reply

Ab, I doubt it would be bricked if you did not do any modifications. I would contact ViewSonic or take it back where you purchased it if you still could. Not sure what would happen trying the recovery from here, but if you brave it out and do try it please let us know how it works out. ~

• Ab
            Mar 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. Luckily I bought the sears 2 yr warranty so I will just get a gift card for the purchase price. What do you guys think about the archos 101 or the new xoom? i love android but the only problem i have is the instability. i’m a newbie and not good with tweaking and fixing so I am thinking of maybe getting an ipad since its more stable.

21. David
    Mar 2, 2011 at 12:43 AM - Reply

I think I bricked the Gpad.. Even after a complete power drain I’m not able get the gpad to recognize the Volume up. It sits on the View sonic splash screen and no matter what combination of Power / Vol will display anything. I have loaded several ROMS without an issue till today. Any ideas as it will not boot to recovery.

• Wendell
      Mar 2, 2011 at 4:30 AM - Reply

Same thing, and now a blank screen, with the back light on

22. Fid e ye
    Mar 3, 2011 at 3:44 AM - Reply

“This will …… ” I bricked my device four different ways and I was able to recover everytime!”

I wish you had bricked your device FIVE different ways ‘cos it appears mine is bricked the fifth way (backlight comes on, but that’s all!). Your method recovery method isn’t working for me.

23. Clint
    Mar 3, 2011 at 4:52 PM - Reply

Im getting the same thing too. Just boots to a blank white screen. Cant get the device to detect a recovery button press. Not even sure what happened to my tablet. It was working fine yesterday and this morning all i get is the blank white screen. Anyone have any ideas?

• Gtab
      Apr 27, 2011 at 3:37 PM - Reply

@ Clint mines went to the blank screen as well. Funny thing though….all i did was turn it on its side(straight up) and gave it a mild tap against the desk lol and my screen came back to life lol….tru story…..bt now i have done some mods and bricked my gTab and this method or any other method is not working….i jus spent 12 hrs lookin and googling boot loop fixes….no luck

24. Evan
    Mar 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM - Reply

So real simple. What about ppl who have NOT been able to root the device? I turned mine on, worked just fine, turned it off for travel to a friends to work on it. Got there, turned it on, just shows Viewsonic Birds screen, then Tap n Tap screen flashes 5 – 10 times, and it goes back off. The “recovery method” just says “loading recovery kernel”, and then does the same thing as before.

So here it goes. I am a Computer Network major with average experience with Windows and Linux systems. I NEED this thing to work before I leave on a trip Thurs. I am flying with a 2 yr old and he needs entertainment. lol. I am not a noob, but not a pro either. New to Android, but I need some help. I have NOT been able to even change settings or anything to it. Nothing. Zip. Its bricked, but will not seem to boot off the sd card either. Any help would be AWESOME!

25. Jeff Ames
    Apr 1, 2011 at 10:48 PM - Reply

Just bricked my new g Tablet as I was trying to install Cyanogenmod 6.1, beta 4. I used ROM manager and everything looked fine during the installation. Once finished, it booted up and all I see are the three birds and nothing happens. I followed your steps and it showed the box installing, but it rebooted to the same screen with the birds and it doesn’t boot. Any suggestions?

Jeff

26. Lucho
    Apr 3, 2011 at 5:15 AM - Reply

WOW!!! SAVED MY A** THANX

27. Chuck
    Apr 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM - Reply

My g tablet is stuck in an attempt to do a factory reset. I accidentally replaced the original recovery folder with another in an attempt to flash cwm. Any suggestions?

28. Dopeshat
    Apr 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM - Reply

I am stuck. I was putting a different ROM on and overwrote the recovery folder and update zip. Now I am stuck at the viewsonic boot screen.

29. ghh
    May 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM - Reply

Followed instructions. No luck. When I hold down power and + button, it goes to clockworkMod Recovery. How do I get it to go to the external SD card and do the restore?

30. David
    Jul 25, 2011 at 4:07 PM - Reply

Need help, followed instructions, just loops between birds and G tblet screen.

31. Paul
    Aug 21, 2011 at 7:12 PM - Reply

Downloaded, installed and working. Thanks!

32. Jean-Claude Ethier
    Sep 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM - Reply

Hi,
    I had the problem of not having :Found recovery image so but the 2 files and the update unzip on the SD card .Open tablet with cloword mod go to apply zip from sd and go to the original tablet.
    Thanks
    Now everything work and I put Vegan on

33. Tektronix
    Dec 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM - Reply

I have the blank white screen cant enter into cwm no matter what. When you hook up the usb cable no recondnition. Cant do anything. Please help!

34. rish
    Apr 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM - Reply

where can i download the files..i dont see anything to download it

35. mat
    Apr 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM - Reply

I can’t get past the three birds and the “Booting recovery kernel image). I’ve tried this with multiple Update.zip and recovery folders. How can I be sure that something is trying to access the SD card? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

36. Mikael REALE
    Apr 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM - Reply

Hi, guys

Help !!!
    My GTAB don’t even start when I press the on/off key since this afternoon, it’s fully charged, green light when I plug it.
    Anyone have an advice ?
    Sorry for my spelling I’m french.

Mikaël

• Sam
      Sep 18, 2012 at 6:05 AM - Reply

Hi,
      Did you get the root of your issue, my gtab wont turn on either suddenly?

37. hndyman43
    Apr 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM - Reply

can’t get out of “booting recovering kernal image” screen.Tried doing what you wrote about downloading to microsd card but won’ t download. i had mod the tablet is that the problem?

38. freddie
    May 28, 2012 at 4:21 AM - Reply

how can i fix the gtablet process android.process.acore msm

39. mario
    Aug 4, 2012 at 6:37 AM - Reply

when i turn on my G TABLET is say booting recovery kernel image how can i take that off.It dosen’t let me in nothing its like on freeze mode. HELP PLZ THANKS

40. Sam
    Sep 18, 2012 at 6:11 AM - Reply

HI;
    Where are the files again? can’t seem to find them? Will this work if my viewsonic wont turn on, just the charging light is on?

41. Nik
    Sep 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM - Reply

Where are the download recovery files located? Not seeing on the site.

42. donna
    Oct 23, 2012 at 7:54 PM - Reply

where are the recovery files at? I dont see a link to download them

43. Davy
    Oct 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM - Reply

I cannot find download for your Restore file on this page. What am I missing?

Thanks

44. Giovanni
    Jan 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM - Reply

pleaze the link???
    send me!!

45. John
    Sep 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM - Reply

Where are the files?

46. Jatin
    May 11, 2014 at 2:30 AM - Reply

Will the above method work for GTab p700+ . Actually my gtab was pattern locked. Now it is aking for id and password. But packet data was not enabled earlier. I tried to make a reset using recovery mode but when i open recovery mode, after gtab logo , a sleeping android image comes up. Recovry mode also not working. Can anyone please help to get my tab working again.

47. dila